Thursday, June 26, 2008

Uh oh...

The big one is just about here and my stomach is already doing flips in anticipation. And the funny thing is that this isn't even THE big one. 10 miles on Saturday. TEN miles. Have I mentioned that I really am not the best runner around and I have to run T-E-N miles on Saturday...as in the day after tomorrow?! Yeah, I'm kinda freaking out.

I had an awesome run last weekend though - awesome as in it was insanely hard but I didn't die. We ran a six mile loop in Placitas, NM, a small town a little north of Albuquerque. It was amazing. The first two miles were completely uphill and killer...I walked most of those. I managed to run the next two miles straight (ok, it was downhill so that helped a lot) and then took it really easy on the last two. My leg had been bothering me for a couple of weeks by that point...not really shin splints, but not really calf pain either. It's hard to describe and my coaches couldn't even figure out what I was trying to say. Needless to say, I took it pretty easy the week leading up to the Placitas run with the idea that I'd take Placitas super easy in order to make it to this week's long run. Which leads me back to the fact that I have a 10 miler on Saturday.

I have an amazing coach in my running group though and I think a lot of my success, however small it's been, is due a lot to her. She's only a year or two older than me, so I can really relate to her and she's easy to talk to...which is great when you're out together for over two hours and the only other thing there is to do is try not to die. Anyway, she was nice enough to meet me last night for a 3 mile run and I ran my best mile ever because of it. It was so hard, but I did it.

Anyway, I shouldn't be complaining about a hard 3 mile run. Not when I have 10 to get out of the way first thing Saturday morning. :-S





1 comments:

traceysob said...

I'm so proud of you for your 10 miler!! You're an inspiration to anyone who thinks they could never run a marathon. Keep up the awesome work :) You rock