Sunday, December 14, 2008

Farolito 5k

Tonight we have the Farolito 5k and I'm super excited about it, even though according to weather.com it's 34* but feels like 24* because of all the wind. Yes, in Albuquerque...it's not always sunshine and heat. In fact, it snowed up where the race is going to be held this morning.

For those of you who don't know what a farolito (also known as a luminaria) is, it's a lantern made out of a paper bag filled with sand and lit with a candle. They're a hispanic thing and are very popular in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas...Old Town Plaza in Albuquerque puts up a beautiful display every Christmas. You can find more info here.

Anyway, the course for tonight's 5k is inside the Albuquerque Academy grounds and is lined with farolitos, which is why the race is run at night. I've heard it's a fun race, so I'm really looking forward to it. And, to make it even better, the hubs and I went out today and bought each other our Christmas presents and exchanged them early...brand new CWX tights. :)

I'll have a race report after I thaw out and have some hot choclate with my ABQ Fitters.

1 comments:

ptg said...

Ooooooh! That race sounds like so much fun!! I wish we had them around here...have a great time and take pictures if you can!