Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Changes...And Random Thoughts

Whew a lot has happened in the past couple of weeks. First off, the hubs and I celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary on May 19. I can't believe it's already been 2 years! To celebrate, he bought me a cycle computer for my bike. :)

In addition to that, I made the hard - but very good - decision to leave public accounting. Again. I really like what I do and I love the people I work with, but this is a good opportunity that I couldn't turn down. It also helps that I won't have to travel anymore and will have much better benefits...and one of my best friends will be working right down the hall. And one thing that I really, honestly, seriously considered and helped make my decision - I can bike to work. It's about 15 miles one way, so it's not something I can just jump into, but I'm really looking forward to it. My goal is to start a couple of weeks after my first day and to eventually bike at least 2-3 times a week. The route is hilly for the first few miles, but it flattens out after that so I don't think it will be a problem. I am very, very excited for this (the commuting AND the job). I'll start on Monday, June 8.

Even though I'm leaving the CPA firm I work for now, I've decided to stick with taking the CPA exam. When I first started that "adventure" I didn't care much about it...it was just something I was being forced to do. But now that I've given up months of my life for this, I've come too far to just stop. I still haven't passed anything, but I should get my next score around June 20. My next exams are scheduled for July 16 and August 29...wish me luck. After taking a month off to relax, I started studying again tonight. No fun...I can't believe I'm willingly doing this.

After participating in Jay Benson (I feel wrong saying that I "raced" it considering the minuscule amounts of effort I put into training...ok, some that time was spent healing my stupid hamstrings), I immediately came home and signed up for the Chile Harvest Triathlon in Socorro. It will be on August 1. My goal for this race is to train and to go into it feeling a lot more prepared than I did for Jay Benson...I think doing it this way will make it fun. I hate to say it, but I did NOT enjoy anything about Jay Benson until it was over. Don't get me wrong...it was an awesome race and I'll be back next year...this was all my fault. At least I won't have tax season and an injury (I hope) to get in my way anymore.

Lastly, the application deadline for the NYC Marathon is next Monday, June 1. I should find out shortly whether I made it in or not. Either way, I just need SOMETHING on the calendar at this point. I decided that if I do not make it in, I'll just run the half at Duke City since it's local. The hubs and I were already planning a trip to Phoenix in January for RnR AZ, so if I do Duke City Half, I'll run the full there. If I get into NYC, I'm doing the half in Phoenix...unless I have some kind of brain damage and decide to attempt a full for both. Someone remind me of the hamstring injury from a couple of months ago if it looks like I'm headed that way...

4 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

Good luck with your new job! That is so nice you can bike to work. I live close to my office so I could, but I'm usually working at clients' offices.

Also, I'm so proud of you for sticking with the CPA exam. Just think how great it will feel when you pass, not because your job requires it, but because it's what YOU want to do! I wish I had that internal motivation. I'm taking Audit July 11th (I think :)). This will be my second test. I passed FAR in November.

Val Duffinger said...

Good luck with Audit, Erin! I sit for Audit on July 16 and am waiting (impatiently) for my FAR results from April...looks like they're getting held over till mid-June now. I'm very unhappy.

It sucks to be so close to the office, but never work there. I'm in the same situation...but I won't miss the hour+ commute to different clients!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Best of luck with the new position and NYC!

MyRunningJourney said...

Congratulations on the new position, and good luck.

Thank you for posting about this too... I currently work in an office I can't stand, and have just started looking for a new job, so it's very encouraging to see that there are job hunters out there finding new, suitable jobs! Thank you!