Wednesday, August 12, 2009

100 Degrees...

...is what the giant, digital thermometer read as I drove by to my weekly run around the Academy - the one I've been neglecting for a few months now because of the heat. It took everything inside of me to keep from turning around and going home for a couple of hours at that moment, but I made it (okay, and I almost drove off again once I got there but my friend saw me pull up). Trust me, I completely understand the importance of weekday runs...but in the summer? This really makes me re-think a fall marathon ever again. Anyway, I started out committing to 30 minutes, but at the 15 minute turn around I was already over a mile in (yes, remember how slow I am) so I decided to go the extra < 1/2 mile and get my 3 miles in that way. I also managed to avoid running up Harper. :)

I think I've made the decision to NOT run a marathon next year (okay, except RnR AZ, but that's in January, which is still almost this year and that doesn't count). I really want to devote some time to my bike and I have my sight set on some bigger things that I need to start working towards. I really want to do an Ironman in the next few years and I know I need to spend a lot of time on my bike to get there. The tentative plan right now is to do RnR AZ, 1-2 century rides, 2-4 half marathons and all the local triathlons. The most important part of this plan is to eliminate studying for the CPA exam...so if everything goes the way I'm hoping it will, that will be done and out of my life by the end of October. Now to chain myself to the study materials for the next 2 1/2 months. :(

4 comments:

Erin said...

I hope to be done with all my exams by the end of October, too! November at the latest if I need to retake of them!

I'm waiting for my results on AUD. I am hoping and praying that I pass. I take BEC in a couple weeks and then REG in October!!!

Good luck with your studies, and of course your running!

Morgan said...

You seem so dedicated! It is good that you can balance the running and the studying. It's definitely worth putting in the extra study hours now to make sure you don't have to retake anything!

Alison and Karen said...

I tried running in the heat and I just can't do it!

Val Duffinger said...

Erin, the AUD results should be out this week...I think AICPA is expected to release tomorrow and NASBA will release Wednesday (not sure if you're an AICPA or NASBA state). I don't think the AICPA released REG when it was expected though (yesterday) so AUD may be bumped. I'm waiting for AUD too, hence the stalking of score releases. :)