Monday, January 19, 2009

It continues

After talking to a few people (physical therapists and nurses included) I've decided to skip out on the injections. Coupled with the fact that the orthopedics' office wouldn't "allow" me to talk to my doctor - or anyone, for that matter - I'm going for a second opinion with a new doctor on Wednesday. This whole thing has made the pain in my knee travel up into my head. :( Even after the cortisone injection 10 days ago, I'm in pain and my knee now feels like it's going to give out on me. That has me worried.

In totally unrelated news, I sat for another section of the CPA exam on Friday and it was about as fun as dealing with all these knee issues. I should have results for that section in March sometime. I also sit for the section I failed on February 27 and a whole new section on April 20...5 days before we leave for Jamaica, unless I need surgery, in which case I may need to postpone the trip...news that the hubs doesn't quite believe yet. I don't want to plan for or against surgery, but it would really suck to have it come out of the blue and then to have my vacation ripped away...but our vacation policy changed at work and unless we can save up some serious amounts of money (kinda hard when you fail an exam that costs $250 to retake EACH SECTION plus whatever the insurance company won't cover for the actual surgery) I'm not sure I can afford vacation for fun and then vacation for misery.

Ugh, tell me it gets better.

6 comments:

ptg said...

I'm sorry to hear about what's going on!I definitely think a second opinion is worthwhile, especially if you weren't able to talk to the first surgeon/orthopedic to your liking.

I've heard from patients that the cortisone shot can make you feel like the leg is going to give out, mainly because of the extra fluid and "wobbly" feeling of the leg. That coupled with the fact that you're not running/working out the wa you used to can lead to some weakness in the leg anyway...

But yes, overall, it does get better, and more importantly, it WILL get better.

Denise said...

Val...this, too, shall pass my friend.

Val Duffinger said...

"I've heard from patients that the cortisone shot can make you feel like the leg is going to give out, mainly because of the extra fluid and "wobbly" feeling of the leg. "

Hooray! Thank you for telling me this! I thought for sure I was going insane! :)

Stacy said...

Im sorry! I definately agree with a second opinion for you. You know your body better then anyone else. I hope it gets better quickly and you can go to jamaica. I didnt know you were going, so jealous over here!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I hate boards. When I took the NCE, I was all like, "will I pass? am I a huge loser? Did I just waste several years of expensive education? Can I get a job laying bricks somewhere?"

Val Duffinger said...

Ahhh, brick laying! There's something I may be able to do! Thanks for the idea!