Friday, February 15, 2008

Ouch

I orignally started training for this marathon on my own in October...I lasted about 3 days before giving myself a nasty knee injury and having to take about a month off. Once I started running again I went to a local running shop and got fitted for the right shoes - or so I thought. My knee wasn't hurting, but I had the shin splints from hell. They would kick in within a couple of minutes and by the end of my run, I could hardly walk. I tried everything...stretching, ice, Advil, running through the pain (the worse thing you can do, apparently), time off...nothing would help. Finally I took three weeks off in January and figured I'd just start up again when my running group started. I kept thinking that maybe I was moving too fast and join the group would help me slow down.

Well tomorrow will be my third run with the group and already I'm to the point where I have a hard time walking after runs. I couldn't even get my weekly runs in because of the pain. When I tried on Wednesday I had to quit after 15 minutes. After talking to several people at work and on thenest.com (love my nesties!) I realized that maybe I didn't have the right shoes afterall. I went to a different shop tonight after work and after running in three different pair of shoes on their treadmill as they filmed me I think I have my issue straightened out. So, here I sit, $100 poorer and with bags of ice on my legs. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

0 comments: