Sunday, March 9, 2008

Annnd I'm Back!

Wow, talk about a Debbie Downer! Last week totally sucked...It was really one of the worst weeks I've had, ever. I had a lot of "Can I really do this?" and "God, I really suck, WTF was I thinking?" but then came Saturday morning. I had the most amazing run of my short running life.

My running group is for beginners - people who have never run before. Even though I tried to train on my own for several months before joining, I fit in perfect here. I was really worried for this week's "long" run because I had such a hard time during the week. I know for some people running for 4 minutes straight is nothing...for me, it's the feat of a lifetime. Add only a 2 minute walk break and I was seriously contemplating just giving up. Saturday came before I knew it and I had to have a heart-to-heart with myself just to get out of bed. I managed to get up, get dressed and out the door...It was amazingly cold outside! Even still, I found myself meeting up with the rest of In Motion at 9 am. We got started and that first running interval was long, but I made it. I kept reminding myself to go slow...there's no need to race through it. Before I knew it, it was over...and then the next one was over, and the next, and the next. By the time we got to the last running interval, I was doing good. I was tired and sore, but I didn't feel like I was going to die. I had hooked up my Nike+ system that morning, and as the last running interval started, I hit my power song ("Never Gonna Stop" by Rob Zombie...yes, I'm that big a dork) and I got through it.

I felt so good, so proud. I was one of the last ones coming in, but I did it...I ran everything I was supposed to run!

My first race - a 5k - is coming up in a little over a month. I'm nervous for it because as much as I don't care about being dead last during our training runs, I don't want to be dead last for the race. Eh, but someone's gotta do it...I just keep telling myself "A'int no shame in being slow." At least I'm out there...that's a lot more than most can say.

2 comments:

Yahpee said...

Have you ever thought of looking into training with Team In Training?

For me there were so many times I wanted to quit but didn't because of the "mission" i felt to keep training. It was impossible for me to back down.

Keep up the good work! You're doing awesome!

Yahpee said...

Oh also.. remember you get the SAME medal as the person who came in first place.

So just enjoy the trip there!